Sunday, September 18, 2011

Making The Best Out Of It (College Essay Final)

  Growing up, I never understood the sacrifices it takes to having a sibling. All I knew was that I wanted one. After years of asking my parents for a younger sister or brother, I never realized how much responsibility it took and the challenges it brought to not only the family but to me.I always told my parents I want a baby brother, because a baby sister will just steal all my clothes and toys. My relatives were much more in shock of my mother's pregnancy than myself. They couldn't believe she was expecting a child because of the big age difference it would be since I was already 8. I would watch my mom suffer throughout the months with excruciating headaches and large amounts of throwing up daily. She was always in bed sleeping. As the day finally came, I was more than excited, to come to the hospital one day after school to see him. His name is Aedan. At the time, all I could think about was how I was going to use him to do things for me. It amazed me so much at how he grew up so fast in a matter of months. Around the fourth month, after a check up at the doctor. They told us something was wrong with him. They said his strength was very week for his age. They suspected it to be muscular dystrophy, from the signs such as his frail cry to how little he moved his legs and arms. That day, changed my families life. I thought having a brother was going to change my life a lot, but instead I ended up surprised to find out that I was going to have to help deal with the situation my brother and family were going to be put into. That very day, was the first and only time I saw my dad cry. I knew deep down that this problem was not going to be so easy to fix. Adjusting to this situation was the hardest thing.
    Aedan had gone through many test, procedures, and check ups for his situation. Not much has changed, he is now 6 years old and he can't walk or lift his arms up completely. He has a tendency to be terrified of the hospital during appointments, knowing that majority of the time is because they want to give his shots. Mentally, he is perfect. Surprisingly his favorite subject is math. One of the priorities I promised myself I would do as an older sister is to protect him. Whenever he is in school, I always ask him if there are people that stare at him or if there are students that tease him for his disability. It crushes me to hear things like he can't participate in certain things because of what he can't do physically. Although I know he will go far considering how sharp he in mentally. My mother always compares me to him saying how much more common sense or how much better his grades are than me. Caring for Aedan is a difficult chore. As his only sibling I do so much for him. Sometimes, it traumatizes me to think if I ever do have kids of my own, but that's what makes us close. We work together to make the best out of everything. I don't mind making him food to eat, but when it comes to things like bathing him, changing him, or moving him around, there is a problem for me. It's hard work, I think this should be considered a sport for all the time and effort it involves. There are times where people mistakenly think I am his mother because of this things I do to take care of him in public. Although, I don't mind since that's the least I can do to help out my parents when they need time for themselves to focus on their job or the bills to pay.
   There are moments I have with my family where we just stop to think about everything going on. My family is close to our religion, we believe in the love, power, and grace of God. Whenever we are at the point where we top to question, "why me?" or "why did this have to happen to our family?" we always consider that God put us in this situation for a reason and that he only gives us problems that he knows we are capable of handling. There are moments where we break down and cry for all the problems we face, I know that everyone experiences suffering, but I know no one will ever understand the way I've suffered through my childhood. I've given up so much for Aedan, but I don't regret anything. I have sacrificed not only things to save money for the family, but also activities, or even just attending a friend's party on the weekend just so I can stay home to help out. There are even times where my parents go under so much stress that I end up having to pull the family together and be strong. I remember there was a point in my life, around the seventh grade where I felt that no one understood me. Knowing the kinds of things my parents were going through, sometimes I felt at fault whenever they were in a bad mood. It seemed to me that no one cared how I felt about the situation. I ended up discluding my friends from my problems when I should have seeked help and comfort from them. I thought they all had life easier than I did, I thought I was unlucky to be given this amount of stress brought onto me for my age. In all, I came to realize the positive side of being blessed with Aedan.
   I thank God for blessing my family with Aedan. I would never go back in time to change a chapter in my life. I realized Aedan was brought to our family to bring us closer. "The harder the push, the stronger you are". I believe that because of our situation with Aedan, he has brought our family a greater challenge that overall makes us a stronger family. Because of him I grew the courage to do things I have never imagined. I changed my whole perspective of how I viewed school, from getting good grades, to being friendly instead of separating myself from everyone. Facing the challenges it takes to raise Aedan everyday has given me the courage to try on other things. I decided to try and get into Moanalua High School instead of settling for attending my district school Farrington High School, I am much more interested in getting involved such as volunteering that the Kalihi YMCA Teen Leader Program to watch kids during Summer Fun. He has taught me the importance of  doing well in school, and also has given me the ambition to plan ahead onto my other goals in life. It has interested me on planning to join the medical field and become a nurse, from experiences with helping to care and raise my brother. Without him I would not have had the courage to try out for the basketball or volleyball team, or for chorus, cheerleading, class Vice President, karate, and even for Sophomore homecoming attendant. He gives me the strength to stay proud of myself, in everything I do. I look at him everyday considering how blessed I am from God that because of Aedan, he has opened my eyes to show the purpose and potential I have to achieve things I never thought I would and branch out far to get to my goals I set out.

No comments:

Post a Comment